There is always so much more to find out about our wonderful Christian Catholic Church! The wonders never cease! I had the good fortune to be asked to participate in a Jesse Tree Ornament Swap, and man did I ever learn so much, it was truly inspiring! I wanted to share it with you all, because of the beauty and simplicity of the ornaments themselves, but even more because of the way God wrote these love letters to His people, throughout salvation history, so that now we can look back at the brilliance of His plan for our SALVATION!!
All you really need is 28 willing volunteer crafty friends (or less, if some are willing to make more than one), and a date. This is important to plan for a few weeks away, so that you have time to order your supplies, and then wait for the night before to begin the project 🙂 It would be ideal to have the swap just before Advent, but not during Thanksgiving week…
The most critical part of this event is to have hot cider, and many delicious treats to share with your friends, and don’t forget to throw in the most adorable student you’ve ever had, I felt like a celebrity with the enthusiasm little Katie had to play a quick round of Candy Land, sorry sweetheart, we’ll have to do that another day!
It was so much fun to see old friends, and even meet some new ones while admiring everyone’s hard work, and snacking on some delicious treats! I will stop gushing now and show you each ornament!
These ornaments and Bible stories are the same as what is used in the Holy Heroes Jesse Tree DVD. If you don’t already know it- Advent Adventure will send a daily story/video/craft/activity for your children every day of Advent! It’s fun, it’s free, it’s easy for the mom! http://www.holyheroes.com
1. Creation (Earth) Genesis 1:1-23
2.Creation Continued ( Man & Woman) Genesis 1:24-31
3.Fall of Man (Apple, Serpent) Genesis 3:1-15, 20-23
4. Noah (Ark, Rainbow) Genesis 6:5-20, 7:1-23, 8:1-17, 9:1-13
5. Abraham (Tent) Genesis 12:1-5,13:14-16, 18:1-10, 21:1-3
6. Isaac (Bundle of Sticks, Ram) – Genesis 22:1-147
7. Jacob (ladder) Genesis 27: 41-44, 28:10-17
8. Joseph (Multi-colored Coat) Genesis 37:3-4, 17-28
9. Moses (Moses Basket) Exodus 2:1-10, 3:1-12
10. Moses Continued (Stone Tablets) Exodus 7-14, 19, 32
11. Ruth (Wheat) Ruth 1:1-16, 7-22
12. Samuel (Crown) 1Samuel 3
13. Jesse (tree stump with shoot) 1 Samuel 3
14. David (slingshot, smooth stones) 1 Samuel 17, 19:1-2
15. Solomon (temple) 1 Kings 3
16. Elijah (raven, manna, chariot of fire) 1 Kings 17 & 18
17. Elisha (river or dove) 2 Kings 5
18. Isaiah’s Prophecies (cross) Isaiah 8:6-7
19. Isaiah (scroll) Isaiah 6
20. Daniel (lion) Daniel 6:11-17, 19-25
21. Jeremiah (fire) Jeremiah 31
22. Angels (angel or angel wings) Luke 1
23. Zechariah, Elizabeth, and John the Baptist (tablet with chalk) Luke 1
24. Blessed Virgin Mary (Mary, lily, heart, Marian Symbol) Luke 1
25. The Visitation (Mary and Elizabeth, or path with hills) Luke 1:39-56
26. Joseph (tools) Matthew 1
27. The Nativity (Jesus in the Manger) Luke 2
28. Magi (Christmas Star, Three Crowns, Camels) Matthew 2:1-12
There you have it folks! What a joy it was to be a part of this fun group….I hope you get a chance to have a Jesse Tree in your home! Maybe next year you could have your very own swap!
May the sweet baby Jesus bless you and your families this Advent!!